Friday, June 18, 2010

Wait, divers use this stuff?!?!

Well, its been quite a week. My brother came up and is now gone, art packaging, moving massive engine pieces, and gettin’ educated on the trade history of Maine all while cramming BIW records into the mix. I haven’t mentioned much about the BIW project this week so I will attempt to play catch up. First off, we got more shelving units in the storage space I work in. That took up some time to set up but it was really needed. And guess who got to set them up? Well, the intern of course! I’m just playing, it was actually kind of fun. I can’t complain when I mention “the intern doing certain jobs.” I’m certainly not running to starbucks for employees or anything and the folks at MMM have all been more than I’d could ask for as far as coworkers/mentors.

So yeah, we got more shelving to house the ongoing BIW project. This week I’ve made some decent progress considering how many other things I was tasked with. BIW Hull #1-25 are done and I’ve made a dent on the high 20’s/low 30’s Hull numbers. I did come across a box stashed away that had a bunch of records from BIW Hull #2 and #3 (‘Machias’ and ‘Castian’ I believe off the top of my head). I had to go through those, enter them into the finding aid and file them with the plans I had already gone through.

I asked around why these were in their own box, and it is just what I wanted to hear! Apparently a few years back when these records were acquired, the word got out that MMM had possession of them. A guy that was planning on diving on the ‘Machias’ contacted the museum and wanted plans for the ship to help out with the dive. Personally, I think this is really cool and something that didn’t cross my mind when utilizing these records and plans. Obviously exhibits and shipbuilders needing the records but not diving on the actually sunken ship! Very cool.

In other personal news, my fiancé (Charlene) and I have set our wedding date for October 8th of this year right on Lake Ontario in NY. We are both extremely excited and ready to start our lives together. Just an update; :)

Enjoy your weekend all, I will keep you updated next week. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment