Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My first day at Maine Maritime Museum


Hello all and welcome to my blog that will follow my work this summer at the Maine Maritime Museum (www.mainemaritimemuseum.org) as I work as an Intern in the Curatorial Department.

For future reference, I will probably refer to the Museum as MMM. In addition, many of my observations and comparisons will be done with my previous coursework at both Park University where I earned my Undergraduate degree in History and that of SUNY: College at Buffalo where I am a current Graduate student studying History with a U.S. Concentration on track to graduate in December of 2010. In addition, I served as an Intern at Plimoth Plantation in Plymouth, Massachusetts (www.plimoth.org) in the Media Department and as an Archivist Aid at the National Archives and Records Administration- Central Plains Region (www.archives.gov) facility in Kansas City, MO during 2008 and will probably draw from these experiences as well.

06/01/2010: 0900-1700

Well, the first day at MMM was spent doing a variety of things. When I arrived, I met my supervisor for the summer, Nathan Lipfert. Nathan is a soft spoken, very intelligent, fella that has been working for the museum since 1971 and is the person everyone at MMM goes to with any questions. When it comes to Maine and all things Maritime, he seems to be the authority, hands down. After the initial paperwork, Nathan took me around to the various offices in administration to meet the employees of the museum. From what I have been told, around 25 people are employed at MMM, primarily in administrative and maintenance roles and have roughly 200 volunteers.

Nathan and I spent the remainder of the morning touring the facility, the exhibit space inside and out and acclimating myself to the campus. The museum is situated right on the water that feeds directly into the ocean and makes for a gorgeous view. In addition, Bath Iron Works, one of the largest ship producing manufacturers is located within eyesight of the museum as well. Coming from the Midwest, it is quite a sight to see the massive ships in and out of its dry-bay and its warehouses when the doors are open.

Before leaving, Nathan briefly described what I would be working on this summer. It’s a massive project and as this week goes on, I will get a bit deeper into it. I do know that it has to do primarily with Bath Iron Works’ (BIW) plans and records that have been given to the museum.

The photo is of my lunchtime view (notice the museum on the right).

No comments:

Post a Comment