Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Debate of Jamestown vs. Popham Colony

0800-1700

Thursday, back into the basement to continue work on the BIW plans project. I did complete Hulls #17 and #18 (“Dahlgren” and “Craven”), found even more records for Hull #21 (“Mayflower”) and updated it, and completed Hull #22 (Light Vessel #71). Two of my favorite volunteers, Stu and John were helping today as well, which is nice. These gentlemen are not historians by trade or education, but their experience as volunteers have made them just that.

We had some interesting conversation about early American history… Roughly at the same time as the Jamestown Settlement in Virginia was attempted, a settlement at Fort Saint George, called the Popham Colony, was in place, which I knew virtually nothing about. This settlement was unsuccessful and I believe lasted less than two years. Regardless, I find it interesting that Jamestown is held so highly but Popham Colony is virtually removed from history except for locals in the region. It may be due to the popularity of the Jamestown story and Captain John Smith. I will have to do some personal research on the subject and John let me borrow a book on the colony.

1 comment:

  1. Ryan,

    Interesting story of Popham. Nick and you have a great time and be safe.

    Doc

    ReplyDelete