Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The summer project is on!


0800-1700

Today my supervisor, Nathan, explained to me just what I would be working on all summer. As mentioned, Bath Iron Works (BIW) is one of the largest ship manufacturers in the country. Their history dates back to the 1890s when they produced their first vessel or "hull". Each hull has a designator following it. Example Hull #4 (Manhattan) is the fourth vessel BIW produced, etc.

Some work had been started prior to my arrival, but not much. A few volunteers had began to sort the records and finished Hulls #1, 2, and 3. These were not very extensive, however, and were much like Hull #4, which I accomplished very quickly.

My task, with these records, is to sort through them, put them in order, and make a finding aid. The previous volunteers that had started the project had only hand written what they had found/sorted. After speaking with Nathan, MMM has provided a computer to ensure the maximum organization of the finding aid.

After speaking with Nathan, the large categories to be organized are Hull #, name, vessel type, delivery date, and engine number. After the plans have been sorted according to this criteria, the plan number, name of plan, date, condition and any notes are to be annotated on the finding aid.

After the first day, Hull #4 (“Manhattan”), Hull #6, Hull #8 (“City of Lowell”) have been sorted, organized, logged and until the arrival of museum conservation boxes are in, are being stored in bags.

I will say more about these plans specifically in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment